It is easy to clean a memory foam mattress topper but not as easy as cleaning a bed sheet. Mattress toppers cannot be machine washed due to their size (Some can be though), also they may tear up during the process. Given below are three scenarios when a topper needs cleaning. It may take some patience but finally will get the job done.
I recommend to clean your topper at least once in a month. Though invisible to the eye a topper absorbs sweat and other body fluids in addition to the dead skin cells, dirt and dust mites that gather over time. Many articles in the internet that talks about how big the amount of these things that gets collected on your mattress (with enlarged microscopic view) will get you clean them everyday. If you don’t believe me take a look at this.
- A clean dry cotton cloth
- A vacuum claner
- Mild detergent
- A spray bottle
- Remove the topper from the bed and keep it on a solid, flat surface preferably next to a window
- Vacuum the topper surface by gently moving the hose attachment of the vacuum cleaner.
- Once vacuuming is completed take a dry cotton cloth and wet it with a mixture of mild detergent and water. Then spot clean the stains manually by gently dabbing the topper.
- Fill 1/3rd of the spray bottle with the mild detergent and the rest with warm water. Spray the solution all over the bed. Make sure that you do not soak the memory foam. Let it there for a few hours.
- Remove the detergent by pressing the memory foam with a damp piece of cloth.
- Allow the topper to dry in a well ventilated area. It will take around one day depending on the thickness of the topper.
- If you want to clean the other surface also then use the same method (steps 1 to 5) but flip the topper occasionally so both sides get dried evenly.
This is for emergency cases like when urine or vomit (of your baby or cat) falls on the topper. If not too late you can still save your mattress topper. Here are the things needed;
- Paper towels
- Baking soda – 1 box
- White vinegar – one bottle
- 1 large bowl
- A vacuum cleaner
How to clean:
- Use the paper towels and dab the surface to remove as much liquid as possible. Take care not to damage the foam by twisting or squeezing it.
- Mix the vinegar and water in 1/1 parts in the bowl. Apply this solution on the topper with a paper towel. After each gentle dab dry that area with a fresh towel. Do this for the whole stained area.
- Pour the whole box of baking soda on the stained area. Vacuum it up after keeping it there for a few hours.
These are three simple steps and if you are not ‘too late’ this is all that is needed to make the topper clean again.
Let’s say the above method didn’t work and the topper still stinks. You then have only one option and that is to get rid of the mattress topper. But since you have to get rid of it anyway why not try another method? This involves steam cleaning, it is not recommended by any steam cleaner manufacturer to use them on memory foam but what is there for you to lose anyway?
- Steam cleaner
- Odour neutralizer
- A fan
- dry towels
- Baking soda (another box)
- Keep the mattress topper on a flat, firm table and spray the odour neutralizer on it.
- Steam clean the surface of the topper using the steam cleaner
- Press the surface with dry towels to remove any excess moisture
- Pour baking soda over the whole topper and after 45 minutes vacuum it up.
- Totally dry the memory foam mattress topper with the fan, it will take around 1-2 days to properly dry the topper.
If the smell still lingers after two days you have no more option other than to get rid of it.