Are you looking for the perfect memory foam mattress topper? My name is John Henrich and here in this website I write unbiased reviews of the most popular memory foam mattress toppers available in the US market.
For starters, a memory foam mattress topper is basically a large block of memory foam much like a mattress but with smaller thicknesses, ranging from 2 to 4 inches. A mattress topper, as the name says, is to be kept on top of a mattress. Using the right memory foam mattress topper improves the comfort of your existing mattress and offers excellent pressure relieving effects on your joints and back.
This is a comparison table listing the top rated memory foam mattress toppers. I selected these products based on the overall ratings and the number of reviews they received till date.
|Memory Foam Solutions 3", 4 pound Topper||4.3/5||4000+||3 inch||4 lb||Read Review|
|LUCID 3 inch||4.4/5||650+||3 inch||Read Review|
|Cloud 9 3.3 pound||4.2/5||1400+||3 inch||3.3 lb||Read Review|
|SLEEP BETTER||4.3/5||370+||3 inch||2.5 lb||Read Review|
|Serta 3-Inch||4.3/5||80+||3 inch||4 lb||Read Review|
|Serta Ultimate with Contour Pillows||4.5/5||58+||4 inch||3 lb||Read Review|
|Best Price Mattress||4.5/5||450+||4 inch||Read Review|
|Sleep Innovations Dual Layer||4.4/5||450+||4 inch||3 lb||Read Review|
|Cloud9 4.3||4.2/5||150+||4 inch||4.3 lb||Read Review|
|Dream DNA Gel infused||4.4/5||170+||4 inch||2.5 lb||Read Review|
My most recent reviews:
- Cloud9 Gel Queen 3 Inch 100% Gel Infused Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Topper “Cloud9 Gel Queen 3 Inch 100% Gel Infused Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Topper” is another popular product from the Cloud9 family, and is my personal favorite. This is a gel infused mattress topper, meaning gel beads are infused into the foam during the manufacturing process. As I have mentioned countless times in other reviews, gel infusion ...
- Cloud9 Queen 2 Inch, Gel Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Topper “Cloud9 Queen 2 Inch, Gel Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Topper” is an excellent choice for those looking for a soft and comfortable gel mattress topper. This is a 2 inch thick topper made of a combination of gel and memory foam. Therefore it is not 100% memory foam. Gel is infused into this to ...
- Brentwood California king memory foam mattress topper Brentwood Home 3″ Gel Infused California King Memory Foam Topper is an amazing piece of mattress topper. It has a density of 4 pounds per cubic feet. This definitely is a high density mattress topper suitable for most people. This 3 inch gel infused memory foam mattress topper offers great support and comfort. It is CertiPUR-US certified ...
- 4.3 Cloud9 Queen 4 Inch 100% Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Topper Review 4.3 Cloud9 Queen 4 inch 100% visco elastic memory foam mattress topper is a 4 inch thick mattress topper suitable for people weighing over 250lbs. This is a soft mattress topper with excellent body support. This product has been reviewed by 94 customers till date and has an average rating of 4.4/5 stars. Out of the ...
- Keetsa 3 Inch Luxury Thick Super Comfort & Plush Memory Foam Topper Layer Keetsa is relatively a new brand, which started their line of mattresses and toppers in 2007. They have showrooms in all states of the USA. Keetsa 3 Inch Luxury Thick Super Comfort & Plush Memory Foam Topper Layer is definitely a luxury product. The first thing you will notice about this product is its price! which ...
- Top 10 Mattress Toppers
- Most sold topper in 2015 & 2016
- Best 2 inch toppers
- Best 3 inch toppers
- Best 4 inch toppers
- Things to know before buying a memory foam mattress topper
- Pros & Cons of memory foam mattress toppers
- Which is the right topper for you?
- What is memory foam
- Types of memory foam toppers
- Foam density
- Available sizes
- Popular brands
- Best reasons to buy a memory foam mattress topper
Queen Size 3 Inch Thick, 4 Pound Density Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Pad Bed Topper. Made In The USA
This is the MOST SOLD MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS TOPPER last year as well as this year till date
Size – Queen size
Thickness – 3 inches
Density – 4 pounds
Product Dimensions: 78 x 58 x 3 inches – 28.8 pounds
Shipping Weight – 35 pounds
Item model number: – Q43
Rating – 4.3/5
It is also available in size Twin, Twin XL, Full, King and California King
This is a Queen sized 3 inch memory foam mattress topper with a foam density of 4 pounds. A 4 pound density is more than good for an average person. This is specially designed to provide additional support in places where your mattress may be dipping or sagging. This is manufactured and packaged entirely in USA and it holds PURGreen Certification which assures the quality and safety of the foam from harmful chemicals. As you know the PURGreen certification is awarded only if strict norms are followed, criteria like the non-use of ozone-depleting chemicals, use of natural resources through internationally accepted ISO regulations etc are very strictly observed.
This three inch memory foam mattress topper is shipped in compressed and vacuum sealed form. Once you open the package carefully lay it flat for about 96 hours at 72 degree temperature (that’s what the company suggests). This will completely decompress the topper making it ready for use. Since it is new the foam may have a smell that can last a few days to a few weeks but the manufacturer and the certifications it holds assure that no toxic chemicals are involved. This product is not exactly lightweight but it can be unwrapped and handled by a single person.
This is the most popular 3 inch memory foam mattress topper sold on Amazon. View my detailed review of this product
These 2 inch thick ones are the thinnest of mattress toppers. If you are wishing to add ‘just a little more’ comfort to your mattress these are the ones to look for.
- Cloud9 Queen 2 Inch, Gel Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Zinus Sleep Master Memory Foam 2 Inch Mattress Topper
- Snuggle-Pedic Patented DOUBLE LAYER memory foam mattress topper
- Sleep Innovations Instant Pillow Top – Memory Foam and Fiber Hybrid Mattress Topper, Queen
- Sleep Innovations 2-Inch SureTemp Memory Foam Topper
The thickness of mattress toppers range from two to 4 inches, but the most popular depth remains 3 inches. Definitely this medium thickness suits most people. They offer excellent support and comfort to your body by evenly distributing your weight and avoiding the formation of any pressure points.
Given below are the reviews of the most popular 3 inch memory foam mattress toppers in 2016.
- Cloud9 Gel Queen 3 Inch 100% Gel Infused Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Brentwood California king memory foam mattress topper
- Keetsa 3 Inch Luxury Thick Super Comfort & Plush Memory Foam Topper Layer
- Sleep Innovations 3-Inch SureTemp Sculpted Memory Foam Topper
- Beautyrest 3-inch Sculpted Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
4 inch foam mattress toppers are great for side sleepers and people who weigh over 240lbs. They also provide great support to your body so if you have back pain this is for you.
- 4.3 Cloud9 Queen 4 Inch 100% Visco Elastic Memory Foam Mattress Topper Review
- Best Price Mattress 4-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper Review
- Sleep Innovations 4-Inch Dual Layer Mattress Topper Review
- Serta 4-Inch Dual Layer Mattress Topper
- Serta Ultimate 4-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper With Contour Pillows Review
Memory foam bed toppers are available with thickness ranging from 2 to 4 inches.
- The two inch ones are the cheapest and offer average comfort but is good for a person with medium build provided the product you buy is of high quality.
- 3 inch ones are the best for most people and they offer excellent comfort levels.
- 4 inch ones are needed only if you are above 240 pounds or if you need extra levels of support and comfort.
Foam density (weight per cubic foot of foam) of a mattress topper varies from 2.5 to 5 pounds. The best memory foam mattress toppers have a density of 5 pounds. Those with 4 pound density are also excellent. High density toppers offer better body support and reduces more pressure points giving you a much better sleep. It also responds better to your body temperature and lasts long. More density means more weight and also a bigger price. But they are also more durable and of premium quality. High density mattress toppers are an excellent choice if you suffer from back pains or if your mattress is too worn out. If you are having a relatively new mattress a lower density topper will do.
3. Condition Of Mattress
A memory foam mattress topper improves the comfort of your bed, but that improvement depends a lot on the present condition of your mattress. If it is years old and sagging in the middle there isn’t much even the best memory foam mattress toppers can do. It takes the form of the mattress beneath it so a sagging bed will have a sagging topper. If your mattress is in good condition then using a mattress topper will definitely improve the comfort of your sleep.
4. Right Size To Fit Your Bed
As a mattress topper is laid on top of your existing mattress, both should have the same size. For example a king size mattress should have a king size mattress topper. There are also cases where people buy toppers for their side only, since their partners do not need it.
5. Purity Of The Material
All manufacturers in the US follow strict quality guidelines, so usually there is no need for concern over this. But some brands manufacture and import from other countries like China, in such cases make sure that the product has valid certifications. The easiest way to get the best memory foam mattress topper is to buy from a branded company. You can read more about certifications here Certifications
All mattress toppers reviewed in this site are covered under warranty. Most manufacturers offer at least 2 years of manufacturer’s warranty. The longer the warranty is, the better as it show the companies have better confidence in their product. Some companies also offer 30 night sleep trial where you can use it for 30 days and return it if not good enough.
Like any and every products memory foam mattress toppers too have their pros and cons. Read them before making a buying decision.
Increase the life of mattress
The main purpose of using a mattress topper is to improve the comfort and longevity of the mattress. By using a topper you do not sleep in direct contact with the mattress. This will reduce the direct pressure applied on the mattress and keeps it resilient over a long time. When one topper gets worn out you can switch to a new one instead of changing the whole costly mattress.
Reduce pressure points
Memory foam absorbs body heat and moulds to one’s body contours giving uniform support on all areas. This eliminates the building up of pressure points especially in areas of neck and back; the most common reasons for chronic back pains. This is why sleeping on the right memory foam topper can alleviate most back and neck pains.
Cheaper compared to mattresses:
They are way too cheaper than mattresses. Of Course this is not a fair comparison but when considering the benefits of having a memory foam mattress topper the money paid is totally worth it. Also consider that a topper can be used as a mattress, which many people do, adding another point to the cost factor.
Using a topper improves the comfort level of your sleep. Let’s say you are not happy with the level of firmness/support your mattress has. Then buy a topper which supplements its comfort level. You can increase or reduce the softness/support of your bed by choosing the right topper.
Improves your mattress
If your mattress is worn out or sagging in the middle then using a topper can largely improve it. But do keep in mind that if the mattress is too worn or too sagging a topper won’t be able to improve it much.
Dust mites and allergen resistant
Most mattress toppers available in the US are certified to be dust mite and allergen resistant. They do not contain any chemical substances harmful to the body or the environment.
This is the biggest drawback of memory foam. It tends to retain heat, without proper ventilation it is uncomfortable to sleep on a memory foam mattress topper. But luckily most of the toppers available in the market now have improved ventilation. Most companies use open cell technology to increase air circulation. They are also made cooler through ventilating by drilling small, fine vertical holes into the foam or by infusing with gel.
The memory foam material has an initial chemical odor. Usually it is mild but some people have complained about really intense smell. I think it may vary with each product but generally speaking the smell is mild. A few days of airing out can completely solve this problem.
Mattress toppers are laid on top of the mattress so there is a good chance of them sliding around. A practical solution is to use a mattress cover and and cover both the topper and the mattress with it. This will keep them in position.
Do note that these are just general guidelines to help you choose the right mattress topper.
- For people weighing below 150 pounds a 2 inch thick mattress topper with medium density is good enough. By medium density I mean 3 to 4 pounds per cubic foot.
- For people weighing between 150 to 250 pounds a 3 inch thick topper with 3 to 4 pound density is good. Do use a higher density topper if you prefer sleeping with improved body support.
- For people weighing above 250 pounds a 4 inch thick 4 pound density topper may be needed. Five pound dense toppers are also available if you prefer better body support. I don’t recommend any toppers below that density as they won’t be durable and will lose their resilience overtime. (Check this)
- If you sleep on your stomach or prefer a firm surface, then go for a 2 inch thick topper with a density of 5 pounds. The high density will provide proper support while the thinness will prevent you from sinking to the bottom. (Check this)
- If you like the feeling of sinking into the foam then the best choice would be a 4 inch thick topper with 3 pound density. (Cloud9 toppers are the best choice here.)
Mattress Toppers for side sleepers, back sleepers and stomach sleepers
Most of us are mixed sleepers. Generally side sleepers prefer softer toppers, back sleepers prefer firmer ones and stomach sleepers like something between soft and firm.
If you are a side sleeper this would be an apt choice – Cloud 9 three inch topper
For a back sleeper this can be a good choice – DreamDNA viscoelastic topper
If you like sleeping on your stomach you can consider – Serta 3 inch topper
A memory foam is a ‘polyurethane’ with more density and viscosity. This was developed by NASA (read more)to improve the safety of aircraft cushions! Memory foam absorbs heat and mould to the contours of your body thus providing a pressure free surface to sleep on. And it can recover its original shape very fast making it the best material to be used for making mattress toppers.
If memory foam is such a magical material why can’t they build a mattress out of it?
They are already there! Memory foam mattresses are hot in the market, but compared to memory foam mattress toppers they are costly. If you already have a good mattress all you need is a mattress topper.
This type of mattress topper is made of 100% memory foam. They were first introduced into the market by Temper-Pedic and are currently sold by many brands. This type holds all properties of memory foam including pressure point reduction, motion transfer prevention etc but also holds all its cons. One main problem with this type of topper is, it retains body heat. Though small in number, around 6% of the customers of these toppers claim to sleep hot.
Gel memory foam mattress topper:
This new type of topper contains gel so it cannot be called 100% memory foam. Here gel beads are either infused into the foam material or a layer of gel is added near the top of the foam. The main advantage of this type over traditional foam is it prevents the accumulation of body heat in the topper. Gel makes the foam more breathable and also improves its resilience and durability. If you are choosing a low density topper below 3 inches I recommend a gel infused one because the presence of gel will make it longer lasting and cooler.
This is the latest kind of topper available in the market. Here plant derived oils are used to enhance the properties of memory foam improving its breath-ability and eliminating heat retention issues. It is also more echo-friendly than its petroleum based counterparts. They also reduce off-gassing problems and have less response time. (Check this)
This category has nothing to do with the type of foam used. The main problem with memory foam is heat retention, so as a solution to increase airflow, evenly spaced fine vertical holes are drilled into the foam. Toppers with such vertical holes are called ventilated toppers. Any types of foam including traditional, gel or plant based can be ventilated.
This type of topper contains two or more layers with varying thickness and foam density. This is usually done to ‘mix’ the properties of different kinds of foam and also to make it double sided. They are usually two layered with one firmer layer and a softer one. The advantage is you can rotate it to sleep on the firmer side if you prefer a firm topper or use the softer side otherwise.
For this type of toppers the top surface is made in the shape of an egg crate with highs and lows. This special shape can further reduce pressure points but is done at the expense of its durability.
CertiPUR-US is the most common certification carried by memory foam mattress toppers available in the US. This certification is based on meeting the US standards for the product and its manufacturing process.
CertiPUR-US foams guarantee that they:
- Do not contain any ozone depleters
- Made without mercury or any other heavy metals harmful to human body
- Low amount of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
- Absent from any formaldehyde
- Made without PBDEs, TDCPP or TCEP components
- Are manufactured in USA.
Oeko-Tex is an international certification to look for if the topper you are buying is manufactured outside USA. It has similar norms as CertiPUR-US and is internationally accepted.
Here is a list of companies selling certified foam in US – http://certipur.us/for-consumers/find-products/
Memory foam mattress toppers are available with different foam densities. It is important that you choose the right foam density because the properties like comfort, support, durability etc differ with each. It is measured in pounds per cubic feet. Toppers are available in densities varying from 2 to 5 pounds. The most suitable density of foam for an average person is 3 to 4 pounds. As density increases the durability, weight and body support of the foam also increase. A 2 pound topper would be too soft and unreliable while a six pound one would be too heavy.
Note that softness and foam density are not much related. A high density topper can be firm or soft depending on the manufacturing process it went through. But a high density topper assures more body support so you don’t simply sink into the foam and touch the bottom. Hence I recommend high density foam for thinner toppers.
- 2-3 pound dense : Suitable for children. Not recommended for a topper with thickness lower than 3 inches.
- 3-4 pounds : Suitable for an average person. Softness and support of the foam are pretty balanced here
- 4-5 pounds : Suitable for a person with bigger build and also for those who prefer a firmer topper. They are perfect for a 2-3 inch thick topper for camping out or a RV.
It varies from 2 to 5 inches. It is an important factor in deciding the comfort and support of a topper. A thicker topper offers better support and comfort levels. The most sold toppers fall into the 3 inch category followed by 4” thick ones. For an average person 3-4 inch thickness is apt. If you opt for a thinner topper make sure that you buy a denser one. Ofcourse the thicker the foam the costlier the topper is. The apt thickness also depends on the use it is put to. If the topper needs to be frequently moved around, like for camping trips, I would recommend a 2-3 inch thick 4 pound dense product. This is because thick toppers are hard to be rolled and moved around.
Memory foam mattress toppers are available in all standard bed sizes.
Twin – This is the smallest available size for a topper. 38” wide and 75” tall it can easily accommodate an adult or a kid. It is the second most popular size opted by buyers.
Twin XL – A little taller than regular Twin size, Twin XL measures 38” widthwise and 80” lengthwise. If you are more than 6 feet in height and sleep alone this is the right size for you.
Full – Full/Double size toppers are good enough for two people though there won’t be much room for movements. They measure 54”x75” and is a great choice for accommodating two children.
Full XL – The XL size is for adults taller than 6 feet. It has the same width as its counterpart but measures 80 inches in length.
Queen – This is the most popular size for buyers. A Queen size memory foam mattress topper is 60” in width and 80” in length. This is a great choice for most couples.
King – This is the third most popular and the second largest topper size available in the market. A bit more roomy than the Queen size, a King size topper measures 76”x80”.
California King – This is the largest size available for any mattress or topper in the market. It has a width of 72 inches, 4 inches smaller than King size, and a length of 84 inches. Definitely this is for taller couples who like a bit more space.
Serta – Serta is the most familiar name in the mattress topper industry. All their products carry CertiPUR-US certification meaning they are free from all harmful chemical substances. Serta, though American, is an international company with branches across the globe. Their iComfort line of mattresses is very popular, so are their toppers. Their products are made in the USA. (www.serta.com)
Cloud9 – This too is an American company and they manufacture their mattress toppers in the US. Their toppers are super soft and give you a feeling like ‘sleeping in the cloud’. If you are looking for a very soft mattress topper be sure to check their products.
Novaform/Sleep Innovations – They have a large line of products under three brands; Sleep innovations, Comfort Co. and Novaform. (www.sleepinnovations.com)
DreamDNA – They are yet another player in the memory foam mattress topper industry. Their products carry a PURGreen certification meaning their products are all manufactured and packaged in USA.
LUCID – Lucid is another American manufacturer of memory foam mattress toppers. All their toppers are CertiPUR-US certified. They sell their products online mainly through Amazon.com and LinenSpa. (www.lucidmattress.com)
Mattress Topper Infographics
Below is an infographics I made on my free time. Hope it looks good.
If you are looking for a good reason to buy memory foam mattress toppers here they are:
1. Better comfort
The main reason to own a memory foam mattress topper is comfort. A topper turns a mattress into luxurious and comfortable one by complementing its firmness or softness. It can be used to make a firmer mattress softer and vice versa.
2. Aches & pains
Memory foam moulds to your body contours and distribute body weight evenly. This avoids the building up of any pressure points under your body. These pressure points are the main reason behind most body pains associated with sleep, by removing them you wake up fresh and rejuvinated. Many doctors suggest the use of memory foam to alleviate chronic body aches.
Do you love camping? A memory foam topper is your best companion on a camping trip. It is easy to roll up and carry and can be used as a bed at night. It is also great to be used in RVs and trucks.
4. Extra bed
A memory foam topper can be used as an extra bed. It is great for kids and unexpected guests.
5. Hypo-allergic and dustmite resistant
All memory foam mattresses and toppers sold in the USA are certified to be free from allergens and dust mites, so worry no more.
6. Improve existing mattress
Is your mattress too old and sagging. Using a good topper can make it feel new.
7. Better comfort for couples
Couples often have disturbed nights due to the movements of their partners. Conventional bedding materials easily pass the movements of your partner to your side but memory foam absorbs those disturbances. It gives a comfortable, undisturbed sleep.
8. Cheaper than a mattress
This is a no-brainer. If your mattress is not too old then instead of replacing it with a new one a more economical solution would be buying a mattress topper. It costs only a fraction of a new mattress and turns your old one into new & comfortable.
9. Protects your mattress
Mattress toppers are cheaper, so it is always economical to replace them than the entire mattress. A topper not only improves comfort but also gives protection to the mattress.
As you are aware mattress toppers are very popular and there is not a single household without them. I have done a lot of research and time to write unbiased reviews of the above memory foam mattress toppers. While they may not be perfect I do hope that they cover all the most important points. I found it very difficult to express firmness and softness of a topper through words, I do recommend trying one of the products in a showroom and then comparing it with others to have a better understanding of how the topper ‘feels’ like. I hope my reviews give you good guidance to choose the right memory foam mattress topper.